Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

JOHNSON: Pacers are relevant again - Journal Review

I’m OK with admitting when I’m wrong. In fact, right now I’m happy to admit I was wrong.

The Indiana Pacers impressed me this postseason and they impressed me in more ways than one.

The bottom line: This isn’t last year’s Indiana Pacers. This is a new team, a better team, and a team who is much closer to being a title contender than I thought.

Just think. They were two wins away from knocking out the Miami Heat and being a title contender yet this season. It wouldn’t have been a clear shot to the Finals, but the chances would have been much better with the Heat out of the way.

Before the playoffs started, I said the team had a ways to go. They’ve turned corners, certainly, but I still felt they had a ways to go.

I’m not feeling that so much anymore. Not with the way they played the Heat. I’m not going to get hung up on the fact that when they lost it wasn’t pretty. Instead, I’m going to hang my hat on the fact that they have proven they can win and make plays when needed and stand up for themselves.

And actually, right now, them standing up for themselves is probably what I like the most.

I was talking to someone earlier this week who said they didn’t like Danny Granger anymore because is all he wants to do is fight.

I don’t believe that one bit.

I like the fact the Granger gets in other player’s faces and I like the fact that David West will get a little rough.

After the Brawl destroyed the Pacers to a smoldering pile of rubble, the Pacers got pushed around an awful lot.

What West and Granger are doing now is letting people know that they don’t get pushed around anymore and that they’re not the same Pacers we’ve known for the past several years.

This team is starting to get some personality again.

At one point, and I think Pacers management made it clear, ownership told Pacers president Larry Bird to clean house. That’s pretty much what he did with Jeff Foster being the last person on the roster who was also on the team during the worst slump in franchise history.

What they did was great. They moved out the guys who caused problems and got guys who would set a good example, keep their mouths shut, not cause problems and just play basketball.

Now after so many years, they can get some personality. They’ve earned it.

Adding West to the team added a little attitude and Granger has caught on too.

What’s next for the Pacers? It’s hard to tell. It starts with Bird’s decision as to whether or not he’ll stay with the organization. Bird will have his end-of-season press conference on Wednesday and maybe we’ll have an answer then.

Either way, what’s next for this team and this franchise is promising. They’re turning corners every chance they get and gaining momentum.

I’m thrilled to say I was wrong about where I thought the Pacers stood heading into the playoffs. Finally, the Pacers are relevant again.

Jim Johnson is the assistant sports editor. Follow him on Twitter @JimJohnsonWIRE and email him at jjohnson@jrpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment