Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Pacers face a familiar face born to coach at Golden State - Indianapolis Star

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Mark Jackson spent parts of six seasons with the Indiana Pacers as an extension of the coach on the court.

He provided an extra set of eyes to help first-time coach Larry Bird. Jackson made suggestions to the coaching staff and did not hesitate to make adjustments according to how opponents were playing them.

It was only a matter time before Jackson would become a coach following his 17-year NBA career as an elite guard.

"I knew he would be a coach in the NBA," former Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said this week in a phone interview. "He had it in him as a player. He thought like a coach when he played a game."

Jackson has gone from player to television broadcaster to coach at Golden State. He beat out current Pacers assistant coach Brian Shaw and former Pacer Chuck Person along with a handful of others for the Warriors job.

Jackson faces his former team for the first time tonight when the Warriors host the Pacers.

His challenge is to get Golden State (5-9) back to the playoffs for the first time since 2007.

"It's been exactly what I thought it would be," Jackson said. "I prepared for this moment. I put together an incredible staff. We've got a great group of guys who have bought into what we're doing and (they're) working extremely hard."

Jackson was the starting point guard on the 1999-2000 Pacers team that also featured Reggie Miller and Jalen Rose, a group that reached the NBA Finals.

"Mark, more than any point guard I've ever played with, saw and read things as they were happening on the floor," said Austin Croshere, another member of that 56-26 team. "He was the smartest point guard I played with. The transition to being a head coach shouldn't be a problem for him."

There was concern because Jackson had no previous head coaching experience. Playing point guard for seven teams served as excellent preparation.

Lack of coaching experience didn't hurt Bird.

"To go from no coaching experience to coaching an NBA team isn't something you would expect, but it's worked for other people like Larry, so there's no reason it won't work for Mark," said Pacers center/forward Jeff Foster, who played one season with Jackson. "I'm glad Mark got that same opportunity as others because I know that's what he wanted. He'll be great at it."

Like Pacers coach Frank Vogel, Jackson has surrounded himself with talented assistants.

Jackson hired respected assistant Mike Malone when it appeared Malone would leave New Orleans for the Los Angeles Lakers.

"From the time I was talking to Mark about becoming a head coach, he always wanted to bring in experienced assistants with him," Walsh said. "That really is important for a guy in Mark's position. He has them in Golden State, which is why that gives him the best chance to succeed."

Jackson didn't take the Golden State job facing an empty cupboard. The Warriors have a talented backcourt duo in Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry, who are combining to average more than 38 points a game.

Jackson took the job in early June, putting an emphasis on defense and accountability. The accountability part has been easier than teaching defense.

The Warriors, who have beaten Chicago and Miami this season, are 27th in the league in points allowed and 22nd in field goal defense.

"I'm a truth teller," Jackson said. "I'm going to tell you if you're playing good or bad no matter the situation. I won't cuss them out and they won't cuss me out. I'm going to hold them accountable and I expect them to hold each other accountable."

Jackson also wants to have an impact on his players' lives.

"If I lead but don't impact their lives, then I've done a poor job," he said. "It's more rewarding for me that I impact their lives. I'm fortunate for this opportunity and I'm enjoying every minute of it."

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

No comments:

Post a Comment