Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Duo learning as they adjust to being Boston's Boiler connection - Journal and Courier

INDIANAPOLIS -- It hasn't taken JaJuan Johnson and E'Twaun Moore much time to make an impression in the Boston Celtics' locker room.

"They are very responsible young players," veteran guard Ray Allen said of the former Purdue standouts.

"I've seen a lot of rookies come through in my time, and most rookies come in feeling very high on themselves. E'Twaun and JaJuan are very level-headed and very calm about how they approach the game."

Now that they have established themselves in the locker room, first-round pick Johnson and second-round selection Moore are eager to establish themselves on the court for the NBA's most storied franchise.

Because the Celtics are a bit thin in the backcourt, Moore -- who signed a one-year guaranteed contract worth $473,604 -- is getting more minutes than power forward Johnson, who signed a two-year deal worth a total of $2.23 million.

"I'm ready when my name is called," Johnson said. "That's all I can do. I want to earn everything I get. That's going to be my approach to my whole career."

With Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal and Paul Pierce established along the Celtics' front line, Johnson is being groomed for the future.

Johnson said it reminds him of his freshman season at Purdue when he was a raw, skinny kid still learning to play the game.

"Slowly but surely, it's starting to slow down for me," Johnson said of the pace at which the NBA is played. "Once it does, I feel I will be fine.

"I just need more experience in practice and when I do get in the games. I will be aggressive and just play."

Garnett is convinced Johnson and Moore will be just fine.

"JaJuan is a little more soft-spoken than E'Twaun, but once JaJuan starts competing, that fighter comes out," Garnett said. "They work endlessly and tirelessly. They listen. And they want it really bad.

"They are willing to do whatever they have to do. They want to be better. They are great guys and great people. I try to give them insight. I talk to them very candidly. They want it, and I love that in young guys. The future is bright for both of them."

(Page 2 of 4)

Moore, the 55th overall pick in the 2011 NBA draft, took a calculated risk during the NBA's lockout, which postponed the regular season's start until Christmas Day.

At the suggestion of agent Mark Bartelstein, Moore signed a $200,000 deal with Benetton Treviso of the Italian Pro League, spending the fall playing professionally in Italy.

When he returned to the United States in early December after a new NBA collective bargaining agreement was in place, Moore was prepared to make an instant impression in Celtics' training camp.

In Boston's Jan. 14 loss at Indiana, Moore played 20 minutes and contributed seven points, two rebounds, three assists and two steals while playing excellent defense on the Pacers' George Hill.

"It was a great move," Moore said of his time in Italy. "I was just learning the pro game and the pace.

"I got a different perspective from different coaches on the pro level. There are different things they look for."

Celtics coach Doc Rivers likes the former Boilermakers a lot and blames himself for not playing Moore more early in the season.

"I've probably held up E'Twaun's progress," Rivers said. "I've been saying for a week now that he should play. You are trying to give other guys chances to take that spot.

"The thing I was most impressed with is that he didn't get discouraged. He has just kept pushing forward in every practice and everything we've had. He just keeps standing out. His play in practice screamed at me to put him in. He was terrific (against the Pacers)."

Rivers also enjoys watching the progress of Johnson, the Big Ten Conference's 2011 Player of the Year and first-team All-American.

"With JaJuan, we really like what he is doing," Rivers said. "He is willing to listen, and I know (Garnett) has enjoyed mentoring him because JaJuan is so willing to listen."

Pierce noticed that trait in Johnson and Moore several practices into training camp.

"They've soaked up a lot of things being around the veterans," Pierce said. "It's a good thing, even though they haven't been playing a lot. These guys are going to be big-time players if they just keep doing the things they can do."

(Page 3 of 4)

Which is what Purdue's Matt Painter instilled in each during four seasons as Boilermakers. Painter was in attendance on Jan. 14 when his two former stars made their first trip to Bankers Life Fieldhouse as professionals.

Painter looked up at one point and noticed Moore was in the lineup with Allen, Garnett, Pierce and Rajon Rondo. Painter is confident Moore and Johnson will see the big picture of being members of a team stocked with veterans.

"It's relaxing to be able to watch them and not have to coach them," Painter said. "When you are coaching, you always are thinking about the next thing and trying to prepare your team.

"I am proud of them. You hope they will continue to work. Both of them don't just want to make the NBA. They want to stick in the NBA and have long careers. The only way to do that is to listen to their coaches and keep putting in their time. They will do that, because that's what they did at Purdue."

Moore finished as the Boilermakers' No. 3 career scorer with 2,136 points and Johnson finished seventh with 1,919.

Combined, they led Purdue to 107 victories. No player in Boilermaker history has more college victories.

Now, they are being paid handsomely to play the game they love and are being mentored by three almost certain future Hall of Famers in Garnett, Allen and Pierce.

Early in the season, Garnett took Johnson and Moore shopping for suits.

"He has taken care of us," Johnson said. "I don't think you could get this from a younger team. He has done nothing but show me love.

"He shows us pointers on anything we want. Even during practice, he will pull me aside. It has been a great experience learning from him."

Actually, learning from all the Celtics' veterans.

"I'm playing with three Hall of Famers right now if they stopped their careers," Johnson said. "Obviously, I've never played with any Hall of Famers.

"I don't have to do too much. I just have to do my job. It's a little different being a role player."

Like Johnson, Moore has embraced the NBA learning process.

(Page 4 of 4)

"I try to get better every day," Moore said. "By seeing these guys play and by watching the game, I've been very observant.

"(At Indiana), I got a chance to get out there and play and actually get up and down and get a feel for the game. I got to see what the NBA game is like."

For Moore, watching Allen, Pierce and Garnett from the bench is an invaluable opportunity.

"We are always watching them," Moore said. "They are great examples. It's great playing with them and with the Celtics. It's such a great tradition. It's a dream come true."

When they aren't practicing, playing or traveling from NBA city to NBA city, Moore and Johnson never are far apart.

Each has his own apartment in Boston, but dining and shopping usually are done together.

"E'Twaun is someone I've known for years," Johnson said. "It's kind of crazy that we both get to play for the same NBA team after being drafted together. It worked out, and I'm happy he is here. I couldn't think of a better situation.

"E'Twaun has played great. After the (Indiana) game, I told E'Twaun, 'You just have to keep playing solid. You don't have to do anything special. We have the superstars. Just take care of the ball and defend.' "

More than 60 friends and family members of Johnson attended the Celtics-Pacers game. He rented a suite for his family and was thrilled that many members of the Paint Crew bought tickets.

Johnson and Moore staged a brief meet and greet with fans after the game.

"This whole thing has been a great experience," Johnson said.

No comments:

Post a Comment