Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Don Bosco's Shumate picks Notre Dame - NorthJersey.com

SAN ANTONIO â€" Elijah Shumate hated Notre Dame growing up.

Don Bosco’s Elijah Shumate announced during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl that he will attend Notre Dame.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Don Bosco’s Elijah Shumate announced during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl that he will attend Notre Dame.

But it’s his favorite school now.

"I used to be a Michigan and Ohio [State] man," said Shumate. "My Dad always told me if I had a chance to go to college, Notre Dame would be my favorite school."

The Don Bosco linebacker became the second of the famed "Fab Four" to make his college choice as he selected the Fighting Irish during the fourth quarter of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Wide receiver Leonte Carroo is headed for Rutgers. Defensive lineman Darius Hamilton and cornerback Yuri Wright have not announced their college plans.

Shumate, considered by many to be one of the top recruits in New Jersey, had narrowed his list to ND, Rutgers, Georgia Tech and South Carolina."The first day I got out there, they took me out and I saw a practice and I saw my position and the level they play," said Shumate after the game. "I was like, ‘I can play here.’ "

"I am just so proud," said Shumate’s father, Maurice. "I’m glad he was thinking about not just football. He was thinking about life after football. An education at Notre Dame and you are set for life."

Elijah said he told Irish coach Brian Kelly a few weeks ago. The big factor was the way he felt on his visit to South Bend, Ind.

"He got back in the hotel room the next morning and he was like, ‘Dad, I feel it, I want to be here,’ " Maurice said.

"That’s exactly what happened," Elijah said. "Notre Dame has a great tradition and maybe I can be the start of a great recruiting class that can help get them back to where they used to be."

Shumate, listed at 6 feet 1, 205 pounds, started his career at Paterson Catholic, but when the school closed, came to Don Bosco. He blossomed this year into a play-making linebacker and also played running back for the Ironmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment